What’s on this page?
‘Personal Information’ has the meaning given to it in the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (Act). In general terms, it is any information that can be used to personally identify you. This may include, but is not limited to, your name and contact details including phone numbers and email addresses. If the information we collect personally identifies you, or you are reasonably identifiable from it, the information will be considered Personal Information.
How we use your Personal Information
We will use information, including Personal Information you provide to us, to:
- provide you the services offered on the Site;
- verify your identity when you register;
- facilitate and process transactions that take place on our Site;
- respond to support requests;
- help facilitate the resolution of any disputes;
- update you with operational news and information about our Site including website disruptions or security updates;
- provide you with information that you request from us;
- provide you with marketing information about products and services which we think may interest you;
- carry out technical analysis to determine how to improve the Site;
- monitor activity on the Site, including to identify potential fraudulent activity and to ensure compliance with the User terms and conditions that apply to the Site;
- manage our legal and operational affairs; and/or
- provide general administrative and performance functions and activities.
We will disclose your Personal Information to other Users of the Site, who you interact with on the Site and at your request, to provide you the Site services.
When do we collect personal information?
We collect personal information when you provide it to us during the registration process and at other times as you use the Site or contact us. We also collect personal information from other third party service providers to us, including third-party payment providers.
If you choose not to provide Personal Information at the time you are seeking to register as a User, you will not be able to complete the registration process to access and use the Site.
How do we store your personal information?
Your Personal Information even if collected by us in Australia may be transferred to and stored in a country that is not Australia (on a temporary or permanent basis).
By registering as a user of and accessing our Site, you agree:
- that, while we will take reasonable steps to ensure that an Overseas Recipient does not breach the APPs, Overseas Recipients are not bound by the APPs and subclause 8.1 of the APPs does not apply to the disclosure of your personal information to an Overseas Recipient*; and
- that, if an Overseas Recipient handles your information in breach of the APPs, you will not be able to seek redress under the Act.
*Subclause 8.1 of the APPs requires us to ensure that Overseas Recipients comply with the APPs unless, in accordance with subclause 8.2, you agree otherwise. For more information, please check the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner (OAIC) website.
How do we protect your personal information?
We will take reasonable steps to protect your information from loss, misuse, unauthorised disclosure or destruction, including by means of firewalls, password access, and secure servers.
To enable us to meet our obligations under the Act and to ensure the operation of the Site, we may need to allow our authorised staff and contractors to access your Personal Information. The staff and contractors are required by contract and policies to maintain the confidentiality of your Personal Information.
If you suspect any misuse or loss of, or unauthorised access to, your Personal Information, please let us know immediately.
How can you access your personal information?
You can access some of the information that we collect about you by logging in to your account on our Site. You also have the right to make a request to access other information we hold about you and to request corrections of any errors in that information. To make an access or correction request, email us at email@example.com
Do we collect information from children?
What happens if the ownership of our business changes?
If you continue to use our Site after the changes are made, then you will be agreeing to the changes.
How can you contact us?
We will treat your queries and complaints confidentially.
Our representative will contact you within a reasonable time after receipt of your query or complaint to discuss your concerns and outline options regarding how they may be resolved.
We will aim to ensure that your query or complaint is resolved in a timely and appropriate manner.
You may contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have a complaint about our compliance with the Act and we have not resolved your complaint within 30 days’ after you first notified us of your complaint, you can refer your complaint to OAIC by visiting their site oaic.gov.au.
Published: October 2017